Good morning and happy "Milwaukee Day!"
In case you've been living under a beer barrel, locals now know that calendar date of April 14th or 4/14, Milwaukee's area code has been officially designated, Milwaukee Day. And people are starting to take notice!
Feel free to follow along on social media with the hashtags, MKEDay, #MilwaukeeDay, and #414Day. All fun, all good!
So what are some things to do? Here's a list from the site, see below for some top picks from the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel too.
Things to do on Milwaukee day:
Happening Saturday, April 14, 2018
Milwaukee Record presents the Official Milwaukee Day Party
Performances by Tigernite, Midwest Death Rattle & Zed Kenzo
Sponsored by Gruber Law & WMSE
Enjoy the Company Brewing Milwaukee Day Lager (4.14% ABV)
Tickets: $8 in advance, $10 at the door
*Scroll down for a list of retailers, bars, and restaurants serving Milwaukee Day Lager
UWM PECK SCHOOL OF THE ARTS
We're excited to partner with our friends at UWM, who open Kenilworth Studios to the public on 4/14. Explore Kenilworth Square East–-a 6-floor, 500,000-square-foot, industrial artist studio space home to over 100 award-winning graduate students and faculty of UWM’s Peck School of the Arts. Watch live art in the making. Experience four hours of art exhibitions & film screenings; live performances; demonstrations and hands-on activities for all ages.
Free and open to all, 11AM-3PM
MILWAUKEE PUBLIC MUSEUM
Immerse yourself in all things 414 at MPM, celebrating our city's history
Free admission for anyone wearing clothes emblazoned with 'MILWAUKEE,' plus specials at MOTOR, live music, and more
The premiere of ASHFACE, a horror film shot right here in the 414
Outdoor Yoga-MKE presents a one-hour session on 4/14 at the historic theatre
Our friend Lex Allen releases his brilliant new album, Sinners & Saints, with a live performancefeaturing special guests, kicking off at 9PM on 4/14
TOO MUCH METAL
Our good pal in the Third Ward is coming through in a big way for 4/14, with shirts that communicate how a rich and diverse community is the future of Milwaukee
Live music and specials, w/ Vincent VanGREAT, Kareem City, Yogi B & the Keez
Doors open at 7PM with beer coozie giveaways, live Milwaukee art, tattooing, and music by DJ E-Rich
The Milwaukee hot-spot for food and fun gets the party started at 9PM on 4/14, with Milwaukee Day lager from Company Brewing and music by DJ Casey Soyk
RIVERWEST PUBLIC HOUSE
Live New Orleans Jazz and bluegrass, specials and discounts on Milwaukee-made products
HISTORIC MILWAUKEE, INC
$4.14 neighborhood posters and $4.14 off combo posters at the storefront, plus a free hour-long guided walking tour of Downtown
OUTPOST NATURAL FOODS
The co-op kicks off their Earth Day/Birthday week on 4/14 with samples, prizes, and more
ORCHARD STREET APPAREL
Get 14% off anything in the shop through Sunday, including some of the best Milwaukee gear in town--just use code MKEDAY18 at checkout
The Third Ward artist-run gallery celebrates its 28th anniversary with 4/14 prices, including free admission from 1-5pm, and $4.14 off t-shirts
The site turns 20 this year and encourages you to pay their kindness #414ward as they'll be around town buying drinks for citizens
WASTECAP ARCHITECTURAL SALVAGE & REUSE WAREHOUSE
The annual Milwaukee Day sale is back on 4/14, with 41.4% off the entire store
SOUTH SHORE TERRACE BEER GARDEN
On the heels of the beer garden's opening on 4/11, the Milwaukee Day celebration on Saturday includes $4.14 brats and $4.14 liter refills of Miller and Leinies products
The beloved Bay View tavern celebrates 4/14 with We Are Milwaukee, a celebration kicking off at 4PM
BROKEN BAT BREWING CO.
Stop in to the Third Ward brewery on 4/14 for $9 beer flights and an ice cream release party
THREE LIONS PUB
Head to Milwaukee's True British Pub for prizes and the tapping of Unbridled Enthusiasm on Saturday
LINNEMAN'S RIVERWEST INN
The beloved Milwaukee live music club gets in on the Milwaukee Day fun with performances by The Fainting Room, Layers & Layers, and Lyric Advisory Board
BOONE & CROCKETT
Give the Bay View location of B&C a proper sendoff with Paper Holland and Devil Met Contentionbefore the establishment reopens in Walker's Point
MOJO DOJO COMEDY AT URBAN HARVEST
First Five gives some of our city's finest comics five minutes of a VHS tape before leaving the rest up to their improv brilliance, supplemented by Hasenpfeffer's rapid-fire comedy
MILWAUKEE MAKERS MARKET AT DISCOVERY WORLD
Many of the areas finest artists, crafters, and makers come together on our beautiful lakefront with fun for the whole family
POTAWATOMI HOTEL & CASINO
Specials on local liquor from Twisted Path Distillery and City Lights Beer, plus cocktail creations with a Milwaukee flair from April 13-15
*Businesses selling or serving Company Brewing's Milwaukee Day Lager:
Downer Wine & Spirits
UWM Peck School of the Arts - Kenilworth
Outpost Natural Foods (Capitol Dr, Bay View, Wauwatosa, Mequon)
Iron Grate BBQ
Brew City MKE
Discount Liquor (Milwaukee, Waukesha)
Engine Company No. 3
Birch + Butcher
Fuel (5th Street)
More to come! Let us know what your business has going on and we'll list it.
STILL LOOKING FOR OTHER WAYS TO CELEBRATE?! HERE ARE SOME OF OUR FAVORITE THINGS TO DO. MAKE SURE TO USE #MKEDAY AS YOU SHARE.
* Find the spot where Hank Aaron hit his last home run in the Miller Park lot.
* Do the custard rounds in a single day. Leon's, Gilles, Kopp's, Oscar's… Who's best?
* See whatever's playing in the main house of the historic Oriental Theatre.
* Gear up for skateboarding at Sky High on Howell.
* Skip some stones on Lake Michigan.
* See some art and underground local comedy at Var Gallery.
* Spend the night at a house designed by the one and only Frank Lloyd Wright.
* Pre-set your car's radio to local independent stations - 88Nine, WUWM, and WMSE.
* Don't know the password at The Safehouse? Then dance like you mean it for the patrons inside.
* Find an angle of MAM's Calatrava that's never been photographed before.
* Start a Kickstarter for naming rights to the new Downtown arena.
* Cheese-curd eating contest? Cheese-curd eating contest.
* Teach your out-of-town friends how to correctly pronounce, "Mwaukee."
* See the next big thing with a show of up-and-comers at an intimate local club.
* Yell a lot at the next Brew City Bruisers roller-derby bout.
* Out late on the East Side? Don't miss out on the ramen at Ardent.
* High-five an MCTS bus driver.
* Try something new in the 'Tosa Village.
* Hit up the secret rattlesnake button at the Public Museum.
* Tell your kids the story of the real-life Bambi, Lawrencia Bembenek.
* Order something with bacon at Comet.
* Get a group together and take a behind-the-scenes tour of Miller Park.
* When you Instagram art, don't forget to mention the artist. And then buy it.
* Become a member of Milwaukee Film.
* Support a visiting author at Boswell Book Company.
* Bike the Hank Aaron Trail.
* Treat yo' self to a staycation at the the Pfister, the Iron Horse, Hotel Metro, or the Brewhouse Inn & Suites in the old Pabst brewery.
* Teach yo' self how to spell "Antetokounmpo."
* Clear your paper plate on the cheap at Conejito's.
* If you haven't yet, get yourself a Milwaukee Public Library card.
* Donate any money or time you can spare to one of our amazing area non-profits.
* Memorize all the words to Channel 12's "Hello, Milwaukee" promo song of 1977.
* Experience the city like every out-of-towner and take a tour of a brewery.
* Find something you've never tried before on Center St. in Riverwest.
* Watch Milwaukeean Dan Harmon's "Community" and cheer anytime Abed wears a Dead Alewives t-shirt.
* Go back to the Mitchell Park Domes. It's been way too long.
* Subscribe to the Pabst/Turner/Riverside newsletter, and be the first to know.
* Bring a group to ComedySportz. Or better yet, register for an improv class.
* Find locations for Major League around the Third Ward.
* Clap politely when that touring band imagines they're the first ever to make a Laverne & Shirley reference.
The history of Milwaukee Day:
According to the official website, is has this to say...
"Milwaukee Day is a movement dedicated to celebrating the city we love, while inspiring positive, proactive action each April 14 – or 4/14. We aim to create a platform for Milwaukee to celebrate, interact and create a better city at a grassroots level. In the spirit of Milwaukee’s unique DIY history, we choose to celebrate the things that make our city great and to inspire the efforts that will make our city a better place to live, work and call home. Let's do this."
Our version, is that some people we know got together posted things on social and it took on a life of it's own, however it came to be - it continues to grow and inspire us to celebrate our city and the people that live, work and play here! As they say, * Shop local! Eat local! Play local and thanks for supporting Milwaukee on Milwaukee day 2018!
See you on a Milwaukee Tour sometime. #MKETour #MKETours